1) Warm air entering attic through open air penetrations.
2) Poor ventilation.
3) Inadequate insulation.
KJ's Energysavers LLC 603-577-1772 email@example.com
WHAT IS AN ICE DAM?
An ice dam is a ridge of ice that forms at the edge of a roof and prevents melting snow (water) from draining off the roof. The water that backs up behind the dam can leak into a home and cause damage to walls, ceilings, insulation, and other areas.
1) Add venting such as roof and soffit vents to allow air to flow over the insulation.
2) Install a hatch cover.
3) Exhaust all ducts to outside.
4) Increase R-value by adding more insulation.
5) Install sealed (recessed) can lighting.
6) Seal around chimney, all chases in the attic and all air penetrations such as pipes,
plumbing vents and wire holes.
Energy Insulation Specialists